I’m officially done with the Food Lover’s Cleanse. It was two weeks of post-holiday diet detox and it did my body good. And hey, I even learned a few things about myself:
1. I really do like quinoa. Sometimes I forget how much I like it so I never buy it. But then I eat it and remember it’s delicious. I now have a five-pound bag of red quinoa in my cupboard.
2. That my cravings for Mexican food actually rivaled my cravings for Italian food. As a lifelong pasta addict, this totally surprised me. My first post-cleanse meal involved tacos, a tamale and queso fundido. And soooo many tortillas. And a few margaritas. It was fabulous.
3. It’s good to branch out of your food ruts and to try flavor combinations that are new to you. Banana, almond and spinach smoothie – yum! Pomegranate seeds with white beans – delicious! Quinoa mixed with steel-cut oats and chopped dates for breakfast? Unbelievably good.
4. If I ever get up the courage to try the Whole 30, I’ll probably die because I cannot imagine life (even 30 days of life) without grains and cheese. This cleanse severely limited dairy and that was hard enough. On the days when I was allowed 1/2 oz of cheese I would eat it slowly, savoring the flavor for as long as possible. And immediately following the cleanse I ate this:
5. That a 1 oz piece of dark chocolate and coconut bark can take the edge off the need for sugar. Seriously — this stuff was so good and so satisfying. And it’s easy enough that I’ll be making it again and again!
6. Having a Soda Stream is essential to my life. I hate water (I know, I know, it’s good for you. You need it to survive. But it’s just so bland!) but make it bubbly water and I can drink 2 liters a day no problem. Yay for agua con gas!
7. I almost always need a beer…but I can make it 2 weeks without one.
8. That I’m totally in for FLC 2015!