So let’s start with the best news of the week: I was nominated for two lovely blog awards. The first, which sent me running to my husband with excitement, was given to me by the always fabulous Squirrel Circus. I can’t quite remember how we found each other’s blogs, but I can say with certainty, how much I enjoy reading hers. It’s always nice to feel like people are excited to read something you’ve written, and when I see her comments, I feel that way. Also, she is hilarious. If you haven’t found her blog yet, go now!
The second nomination, given to me by the lovely Sara Ann of Act like a Lady, Eat like a Man, took me totally by surprise and made me utter a happy little shriek. If you haven’t read any of her posts, be assured you are missing out. Anyone who believes in serious eating — which is yes, more than a dainty salad — can find comfort in knowing she feels the same.
Now before I fulfill the “tasks” that the nominations require, let me explain why I am a bit red-faced about all this. Months ago, when I was still very, very new to WordPress, I was nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award by Sarah of Anything but Academia fame. But, I didn’t get that there is no actual winner of the award (or is the point that we are all winners? I have no idea!), so I didn’t understand that I was supposed to do anything about it. I just thought, oh well, maybe next time I’ll win.
Oh silly me.
Much later I did some more research and began to make sense of it all — the nomination IS the award and to accept it you should answer some brief questions and then pass the nomination along like a good little blogger. But by then it was too late and I felt like it’d be ridiculous to go back and talk about something that happened months before.
Oh wait, I just did that, didn’t I?
Anyways…on to the awards:
First up, from Squirrel Circus, the Liebster Award: This award for any of you who are as clueless as I was about these things, is designed to promote other blogs with less than two hundred followers. A quick disclaimer: Some say the blog awards are like chain letters, I prefer to think of them as an opportunity to let your readers know whose blogs you like to read. And since not every blog shows the number of followers, I am just picking 5 that I like a lot!
Please show them some love in the form of page views!
- Small Talks — I can always count on her for a good read and beautiful pictures.
- Power Plant Men — For often hilarious, but also heartfelt stories about power plant life. This blog has made me actually laugh out loud and shudder in fear, all in the same post (hint: it’s the one involving a lot of spiders).
- Clover & Thyme — because Scallion Pancakes= yum!!
- Enchanted Woods — because she went from being a European city girl to being a Canadian farm girl. That means she’s pretty awesome.
- Dinners for Winners — An Oregon blogger with fantastic food photography…oh yes, and her recent post about soft pretzels made my mouth water.
* Nominees — if you wish to participate (no pressure!) just do what I did: answer the questions in a blog post, nominate 5 other blogs and then let those people know you’ve nominated them *
Now…on to my acceptance speech:
- Favorite quote, and why?
“Nothing gold can stay.” Says Johnny Cade to Ponyboy (reciting Robert Frost, of course) in the epic novel of my youth, The Outsiders. Not only does hearing that make me smile (I loved that book so hard) but it’s also very true. Take nothing for granted, life is short.
- One thing about you that people wouldn’t assume by looking at you?
That I really really love Tupac. And most mid-to-late 1990s rap. But especially Tupac.
- Would you rather forgive something said about you or verbally lash the person who said it?
I would be more inclined to simply ignore them for a very long time. Anyone who has pissed me off at any point knows I can hold a grudge like no other.
- Something about you that makes you really proud?
That I own a home! And can maintain a garden with lots of pretty flowers.
- A single favorite book you wouldn’t mind reading twice or thrice. Why?
That is a very hard question! I reread books constantly. I can say though I have just fallen in love with The Lies of Locke Lamora. It’s the author’s first novel and it’s amazing — the schemes that Locke comes up with (he’s basically a con man) were astounding, his poise and attitude were hysterical and the drama had me on the edge of my seat. Loved it.
- One person whose (God forbid) death would change you? Why?
Eek. I spend a great deal of time wishing no one I know would ever die so I can’t answer that at all!
- What’s that which you desire the most from life?
An oxymoronic combination of security and adventure.
- Your favorite word? Yes, word.
Synchronicity. Have loved it since I first heard it.
- Beauty comes from ______ ?
Um. Kittens? If not from kittens, certainly from beer. (If that makes no sense, don’t worry about it. It did in my mind.)
- Five things that life is about?
Happiness, friendships, laughter, love and foie gras!
- Words for you are?
Solace. Some of my best friends are fictional.
** For the second nomination, I will need a day or two to relax. But don’t worry — I’m working on it! **